As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. All claims are strictly my personal opinion.
Perfectly mowing hills isn’t an easy task – you need a machine that’s capable of taking on the unique terrain and inclination with ease while still delivering great results. Walk-behind mowers are a popular choice to take on hills and even though there’s a sea of choices on the market, not all are suited for taking on this type of terrain. Even though we’ve already listed our personal picks for the best walk behind mowers in general, this time we’ve tested, reviewed and compared all the top choices – in our view – to present to you a selection of the ones that are in our opinion the very best walk-behind mower for hills, ensuring you are able to ace the tricky task.
With unique features and designs that make them perfect for dealing with hills, such as bigger wheels, cordless designs and powerful self-propelled action (optional), they guarantee a fantastic looking lawn, regardless of how steep the hills are.
Best Walk-Behind Mowers for Hills Reviewed
Here you can read in-depth reviews of the models that are, in our opinion, the best walk behind mowers for hills, ensuring you find the perfect one.
This is, in my opinion, one of the best walk-behind mowers for hills and comes with a powerful and advanced Arc-Lithium 7.5 Ah 56V Battery along with a charger. It has 90 minutes of cutting time and a 20-inch cutting width capacity. It is easy to use and foldable for compact storage.
- Arc-Lithium 7.5Ah 56V battery
- 20-inch cutting capacity
- 90 minutes runtime
- 5-year limited warranty
- Easily foldable and takes lesser space
- Weather-resistant build
- Rapid charging
- Highly durable in all weathers
- Extremely quiet and convenient
- The batteries are expensive
This Greenworks model has a brushless motor that offers higher performance by inducing more thrust and a longer life cycle. It is also extra quiet in its operations. It has a robust 21-inch steel cutting deck and a 3-in-1 cutting system that includes mulching, rearing and discharge.
- Brushless motor
- 21-inches steel deck
- 3-in-1 cutting system
- Dual battery port
- A USB port in the battery
- Up to 45 minutes of runtime
- Quiet and more powerful due to the brushless motor
- The 21-inch cutting deck ensures taller grass is cut quickly
- Dual battery port saves time and energy
- The battery and charger comes included in the kit
- Lesser runtime than most other models
This Husqvarna push lawn mower comes with a powerful 160cc Honda engine and a 21-inch cutting deck. It is powered by gas and is apt for smaller sized lawns. It has 12-inch rear wheels that make it ideal for operating on uneven terrain as well.
- 160cc Honda GVC160 engine
- 21-inch cutting deck
- 3-in-1 cutting design
- 12-inch rear wheels
- Powered by gas
- Adjustable handle and foldable design
- Good for residential, smaller yards
- 12-inch rear wheels ensure easy portability on uneven terrain
- The adjustable handle ensures ergonomic operations
- User-friendly design with easy storage
- Each wheel has to be manually moved to adjust the height
Snapper CRP218520 / 7800968 NINJA 190cc Rear Wheel Drive Variable Speed Commerial Series Lawn Mower with 21-Inch Deck, Ninja Mulching Blade and 7 Position Height-of-Cut
As the name suggests, this model is, in my opinion, likely the best walk behind mower for hills by Snapper. It’s a commercial lawn mower that is designed for durability and lasts for multiple seasons and it sports heavy-duty features like 14-gauge steel deck and a steel axle. It has 10-inch rear wheels that can easily move around on hilly terrain.
- 14-gauge steel deck
- Steel axle
- 10-inch rear wheels
- Briggs & Stratton professional series engine.
- Ninja mulching blade
- 7-position height adjustment
- A robust body that’s built for durability
- High real wheels allow for easy maneuverability on hills
- Long-lasting powerful engine
- No oil drain plug
The HRS216VKA comes with an auto-choke GCV160 engine. It also offers speed control on the ground through the smart drive mechanism. It is equipped with unique features that make it an excellent side-discharge mulching mower while also offering the fantastic quality and performance we’ve come to expect from Honda.
- Auto-choke GCV160 engine
- 6-position height adjustment system
- Smart drive speed control
- No manual choking of the engine
- Superior performance for great mulching results
- Easy to maneuver on uneven terrain
- Convenient to operate
- Can only be used for mulching
Honda HRX217K5VKA 187cc Gas 21 in. 4-in-1 Versamow System Lawn Mower with Clip Director and MicroCut Blades 660250
A large-sized lawn mower that weighs about 96 pounds, Honda HRX217K5VKA sports a powerful engine and stands, in my opinion, as the best walk-behind lawn mower for hills. It can cut a 21-inch wide cutting path and the 190cc Honda engine is efficient enough to cut all types of grass.
- 190cc engine
- 21-inch cutting deck
- MicroCut blade
- 2.5-bushel discharge bad
- 7 cutting levels with a maximum of 4 inches
- A powerful 190cc engine that cuts down any type of grass
- Adjustable handle
- Discharge bag has more than usual capacity
- Easy to use and operate
- Above-average 5-year warranty
- No side discharge option
- Height of the wheels need to be adjusted separately
Honda 662340 21 in. GCV200 4-in-1 Versamow System Walk Behind Mower w/Clip Director, MicroCut Twin Blades, Roto-Stop (BSS) & Self Charging Electric Start
The newest version of the famous HRX217K5VKA model, this Honda machine is a force to be reckoned with. Featuring an electric setup and powered by an incredibly powerful Honda engine, it ensures easy use and unmatched performance – even while running on hills. The engine has an auto choke mechanism and this model also boasts of a rechargeable Cyclone battery that can run for an entire season. It also has the trademark MicroCut twin-blade system for finer cutting and versatile 4-in-1 capabilities, perfectly adjusting to your preference.
- Auto choke Honda engine
- Rechargeable cyclone battery
- HRX hydrostatic transmission
- MicroCut twin-blade system
- 3-position folding handles
- Excellent performance on both the cutting and the driving
- The battery lasts for the entire season
- Roto-stop blade brake stops blades while engines are running
- Finer and cleaner cuts
- Easy storage
- Higher priced than competitors
A heavy-duty lawn mower with a gigantic 420cc OHV engine, the Troy-Bilt WC33 features an electric start and a 33-inch cutting deck with twin blades. The rear-wheel-drive system has four forward speeds and an integrated deck wash.
- 420cc OHV engine
- 33-inch cutting deck
- Four forward speeds with rear-wheel
- 2-in-1 convertible including side discharge and mulch
- Zero-turn electric lawn mower
- Zero-turn manoeuvrability saves time
- Equipped with variable speed control
- Easily moveable
- Durable rear wheels
- A highly premium range model
This is an advanced reel mower that extremely easy to push around. It sports InertiaDrive reel that is equipped to handle all types of grass the StaySharp cut technology ensures that it makes clean cuts without damaging itself.
- Sports InertiaDrive reel
- StaySharp cut mechanism
- 18-inch cutting width
- Adjustable cut height from 1-4 inches
- Reversible grass chute
- Extremely easy to push
- Twice the more cutting power than standard
- No need to manually sharpen the blade
- Makes clean and fine cuts
- Ideal for all types of grass
- Handles mowing on hills easily
- Does not mow the tall grass easily
With these machines in your arsenal, no hill will be left standing in your way to achieve a perfect looking lawn. They are, in our opinion, the best walk behind mower for hills, easily, and you’ll be well served with any of them – simply choose the one that fits your budget and preferences the most.
Thank you for reading and as always, have a great day!