Troy-Bilt came into prominence in 1937 with the introduction of the rototiller and has since become synonymous with the word “lawnmower”. Troy-Bilt has been the first choice for many American households not only because its products are made in the United States, but also because they offer many other quality products in lawn management such as tillers, cultivators, leaf blowers and so on. It’s one of the best lawn mower brands and today we’ll take a look into the reasons why as well as some of Troy-Bilt’s best machines.
Let’s take a look at what makes Troy-Bilt such a popular brand among lawn mower users.
- All products are manufactured in the United States, which strikes a positive chord with me and most people
- Almost all the products are of great value for money, making them standout when compared with most products currently available on the market
- Great range on most products they manufacture which puts them in direct competition with major manufacturers
- Generally positive reviews for the company’s products and service
- Most products manufactured by Troy-Bilt do not need much maintenance, which is an advantage over other manufacturers
- Troy-Bilt introduces innovation in every new product, with a high success rate, keeping customer expectations high
- They are available at many online retailers such as Amazon
- The company has an excellent recall value – when people think of lawn mowers, one of the first brands that come to mind is Troy-Bilt
- Most products manufactured by the company have been described by long-time users as “built to last” and as true “workhorses” – one of the biggest compliment a company can get from its customers
Best Troy-Bilt Lawn Mower Reviews
Now let’s take a look at some of the best Troy-Bilt lawn mowers on the market.
This self-propelled lawnmower by Troy-Bilt has 163cc Briggs & Stratton engine and is equipped with ReadyStart technology. I have always marveled at the ease with which its TriAction system cuts the lawn evenly in single passes. The TB330 is a rear-wheel drive and is backed by a 3-year limited warranty.
- Equipped with a 163cc Briggs & Stratton engine
- Comes with a 1.9-bushel capacity bag
- 21-inch deck with premium deck wash
- TriAction cutting system for smooth cuts
- Very well-built
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- 4 top-speed settings
- Starts very smoothly
- Very easy to assemble; easy to clean after use
- Some customers have complained of receiving damaged units
The TB220 is equipped with a 159cc OHV engine and is perfectly suited for small to medium-sized backyards. The mower starts easily and makes consistently smooth cuts and can bag, mulch or side discharge with equal ease. I am sure customers will love the competitive pricing and the great features it comes with!
- 21-inch cutting deck; 159cc front-wheel-drive engine
- Clean, even cuts with TriAction cutting system
- 2 levers for wheel height adjustment
- 3-in-1 capability
- Cleans easily with deck wash
- Very lightweight design
- Starts easily in a single attempt
- Huge fuel capacity for longer runs
- Some said that the pull cord broke after a few uses
This particular model is equipped with a powerful 190cc Honda engine that comes with an Automatic Choke System (ACS) for optimum running conditions. I could take up the TB490 all the way up to a hillock thanks to its 4-wheel-drive capability. In my opinion, this mini-beast is built to last and quite reliable.
- Powerful 190cc Honda engine that overcomes all odds
- Auto Choke System for smoother operation
- Self-propelled; includes mulch kit
- Side discharge, mulch or bag with large grass bag
- Comes with a 3-year limited warranty
- Comfortable handle for hours of cutting
- 4-wheel drive tackles all types of terrain
- Avoids clumping of grass
- The height adjustment system might not be the best in the market
- Turning with the 4-wheel-drive can be a bit tricky
This riding lawnmower has a 30-inch cutting deck and a 382cc engine that makes my grass cutting routine a fun activity; something I look forward to. If you have a medium-sized lawn you will appreciate the large gas tank (with a fuel-sight window) and the 6-speed transmission on this machine.
- Responsive 382cc OHV engine
- 6-speed transmission
- 30-inch cutting deck
- Manual power take-off system engages blades quickly
- Takes under an hour to assemble
- Can mow in reverse as well
- Very agile; turns easily in tight corners
- Extremely comfortable seating
- The maintenance of the unit can be a task
- Other customers feel that the unit is a bit outdated
This mower is built for large backyards and it covers over them very well, thanks to the 540cc engine. I especially love the mow-in-reverse capability and the fact that it goes over wild vegetation easily. It has a comfortable mid-back seat for those long cleaning jobs and a foot-pedal transmission which makes you feel like you are driving a car! Of all the Troy Bilt lawn mower reviews online, this one has the best rating.
- 540cc Briggs & Stratton engine
- 5.5 mph maximum speed
- Foot-pedal automatic transmission
- 46-inch deck with 5 cutting height positions
- Easy to clean, thanks to the integrated deck wash system
- Handles rugged terrain easily
- Ideal for very large yards
- Great value-for-money product
- The mower does not ride as smoothly as advertised
- The customer service can be a bit slow
The Mustang is one of the best Troy Bilt lawnmowers. It has a large trim area of 54 inches which can cover large distances in a short period with its powerful 724cc Briggs & Stratton Intek Twin Cylinder engine. This mower is zero-turn, meaning it can make those tricky turns easily.
- Reliable 724cc engine
- Zero-turn maneuverability
- 7 mph forward; 2.5 mph reverse speed
- 8 cutting height positions
- Makes tricky turns easily
- Great safety features
- Very fuel-efficient
- Limited lifetime frame warranty with a 30-year limited residential warranty
- Doesn’t do so well on sloped surfaces
- Some customers say that the mulching operation isn’t so great
Apart from the excellent value for money, Troy-Bilt products offer great features and even better build quality. If you are looking for something affordable and something that works out of the box, Troy Bilt is a great choice.