Want to get a great self propelled lawn mower for less than $400? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! We’ve thoroughly tested, reviewed and compared the top choices for this budget, creating a list of the best self propelled lawn mowers under 400 bucks.
Even though these machines can get fairly expensive – as our list of the best self propelled lawn mowers shows – these units manage to deliver the incredibly helpful self propelled action as well as a fantastic amount of value for the price. They prove that you don’t need to break the bank in order to get a great machine and an equally great-looking lawn. Let’s take a look!
Best Self Propelled Lawn Mowers under 400 Reviews
Here you can read in-depth reviews of the best self propelled lawn mowers under 400 bucks. This ensures that you know exactly what each one has to offer and that you find the right one for you.
I like the Honda 663000 for its compact frame and the ease at which I can maneuver it. The design itself is simple, but it also features a sturdy 21-inch deck that makes it easy for wider, clean cuts and is equipped with a GCV160 4-stroke engine that makes short work of small backyards.
- Powerful GCV160 4-stroke engine
- 6 adjustable heights for various grass lengths
- Big 8-inch wheels for easy movement
- Durable 21-inch deck
- Extremely easy to use
- Variable speeds from 0-4 mph
- Smooth, consistent operation
- The compact design makes it easy to store
- No mulching blades provided, they have to be bought separately
- Some customers may not find the wheel adjustment satisfactory
Craftsman M275 159cc 21-Inch 3-in-1 High-Wheeled Self-Propelled FWD Gas Powered Lawn Mower, with Bagger, Red
The M275 is powered by a 159cc OHV gas engine and comes with an auto choke and a 21” deck that makes cutting grass on a small backyard fun. What I liked about the Craftsman is that the battery and charger are included in the price. It is also equipped with a dual lever to let you make 6 different height adjustments. And there is no danger of rust build-up, thanks to a deck wash.
- Capable of rear and side discharge and mulching
- Electric push-button start
- Deck wash included
- Sturdy 159cc gas engine
- Very easy to operate
- Glides effortlessly on wide areas of grass
- Also has an option of the pull rope
- Accelerating mower speed is easy thanks to single lever squeezebox
- Some customers have complained of missing parts
- The mower may not work well on slopes
Snapper HD 48V MAX Electric Cordless Self-Propelled Lawnmower without battery and charger, 2691565, 20SPWM48
If you are looking for some lightweight lawn mowing for your yard, the Snapper HD offers up to 60 minutes of runtime, which, in my opinion, is no mean feat. Also, it is remarkably quiet, so your neighbors won’t be complaining anymore. This self-propelled lawnmower starts with a push button so you can mow effortlessly and without the hassle of pulling cords.
- 7 different heights of cut adjustments
- Equipped with load-sensing technology
- Brushless motor for efficient mowing
- 3-in-1 operation; side-discharge, mulching and bagging
- The compact design makes it easier for vertical storage
- Very quiet operation
- Runs up to 60 minutes on light loads
- Push-button start
- This particular product comes without a battery or charger
- Some customers have complained that the battery does not last 60 minutes as advertised
Snapper 12AVB2A2707 21″ Self Propelled Gas Powered Mower with Side Discharge, Mulching, Rear Bag and Rear High Wheel, Height Adjustment
I am impressed with the build quality of the 12AVB2A2707 and love how it feels in my hands while mowing the backyard. This is easily the best self-propelled lawn mower under 400 because it is powered by a Briggs & Stratton 163cc OHV 725EXi series engine which does not need priming or a choke system. It has a front wheel drive, giving you full control over how you want to mow.
- 3-year limited warranty
- Wash-out port to keep the mower clean
- Ergonomic and adjustable handles
- Front-wheel drive for easy maneuverability on rough terrains
- Can cut through thick or heavy grass easily
- Low handle suitable for virtually any height
- Capable of mulching
- Great customer support
- Some customers have complained that the handles can be a bit wobbly
- The mower cannot be started electrically
I like the smooth operation on the TB220, which is equipped with an efficient 159cc OHV engine and offers a front-wheel drive. I was delighted by the fact that it started up every time on the first attempt, and this makes it a contender to be in this list of best self-propelled lawn mowers under 400. It is equipped with a 21-inch cutting deck, so it works perfectly on flat terrain, and the automatic drive system makes it easy to push it.
- 21-inch cutting deck
- 159cc OHV engine
- Side mulch capability and dual-lever height adjustment
- Very durable 8×8-inch wheels
- Cuts grass evenly every time
- Starts effortlessly the first time
- Wash port for keeping the mower clean
- Very comfortable handles
- Doesn’t do so well on hilly yards
- Some customers have complained of poor build quality
Troy-Bilt 21 in. 159 cc Gas Walk Behind Self Propelled Lawn Mower with Check Don’t Change Oil, 3-in-1 Triaction Cutting System
The TB330 is a solid product from Troy-Bilt with all the capabilities a self-propelled lawn mower should have. I am impressed with the 163cc Briggs & Stratton engine and the 21-inch TriAction cutting system. The height adjustments can be accomplished with a single lever which is useful if you are not the only one using it.
- Durable Briggs & Stratton 163cc
- 1.9-bushel capacity bag
- 3-in-one convertible cutting and mulching deck
- 3-year limited warranty
- 8×8” rear wheels for easy maneuverability
- Inclusion of a wash port is a great idea
- The engine does not need an oil change
- Single-lever height adjustment
- Some customers have complained of torn packaging
- Other customers have said that they couldn’t get the mower to start
As you can see, there are some incredible choices on the market even with a tight budget. All of the units above are available at a very affordable price without compromising on quality, making them the very best self propelled lawn mowers for under 400 bucks.
Thank you for reading and as always, have a great day and enjoy your beautiful lawns!