Classic, effective and a great fit for any lawn, gas lawn mowers are the most widely used type of lawn mower in the world for a reason. A staple of nearly every home in America and all around the world, they’re simple to use, incredibly powerful and capable of producing absolutely gorgeous results, all while being smooth to handle and lasting a lifetime of use – hence why they’re featured so often on our list of the best lawn mowers of all time. Due to their popularity there are hundreds of choices out there but only a select few can truly be called the best gas lawn mowers on the market – and those are exactly the ones we’re going to be taking a look at today!
Combining excellent craftsmanship, tank-like durability, beastly power, professional performance and cutting-edge features – all while being attractively priced – they rise above the competition and stand out as the very best gas lawn mowers you can get. Whether you prefer the simple push or the self-propelled variety, we’ve got you covered so let’s take a look at the winners and find the perfect one for you!
Best Gas Lawn Mowers Comparison
These are the best gas lawn mowers on the market, thoroughly compared for you.
|Lawn Mower||Troy-Bilt WC33 420cc 33-inch Wide Cut RWD Lawn Mower||Honda HRX 217K4HZA 21 in. GCV200 4-in-1 Versamow Mower||Snapper HI VAC 190cc 3-N-1 Self Propelled Lawn Mower with 21-Inch Deck||Honda HRX217K5VKA 187cc Gas 21 in. 4-in-1 Versamow Mower||Snapper NINJA 190cc Lawn Mower 21-Inch||Husqvarna 22" Self Propelled Gas Mower||Husqvarna 7021P 21" 160cc Honda GCV Gas 3-N-1 Push Mower|
|Capabilities||Mulch, Side Discharge||Bag, Mulch, Rear Discharge and Shred||Bag, Mulch, Side Discharge||Bag, Mulch, Rear Discharge and Shred||Mulch (Bag, Side Discharge Kits)||Bag, Mulch, Side Discharge||Bag, Mulch, Side Discharge|
|Warranty||3 Years||5 Years||2 Years||5 Years||2 Years||2 Years||2 Years|
Best Gas Lawn Mowers Reviews
Here you can read our best gas lawn mower reviews, letting you know exactly what each one has to offer and ensuring you make the right choice.
Troy-Bilt’s WC33 takes things up a notch to deliver a roaringly powerful machine that can take on anything, anywhere with ease. From its extremely potent 420cc OHV engine and huge 33″ cutting deck to the extra-large set of wheels and tank-like construction quality, this thing’s made to be the ultimate solution to all of your heavy-duty lawn mowing needs.
Apart from the essentials, it also features an always useful electric start, highly responsive controls and the ability to mulch, side-discharge and even bag if you get the bagging kit and most importantly – it can perform zero-turns, which is insanely helpful. With a 3 year warranty to boot and a fair price for its outstanding quality, it’s easily one of the very best gas lawn mowers you can get.
- 420cc OHV gas engine
- 33-inch cutting deck
- Zero-turn capability
- Rear wheel drive
- Electric start
- Responsive control handles
- Variable speed
- Heavy-duty construction quality
- Huge rear wheels
- Extremely powerful engine
- Incredible cutting performance even in roughest tasks
- Huge cutting deck turns long tasks into quick ones
- Extra-large rugged wheels can take on any terrain with ease
- Responsive, nimble and enjoyable controls
- Great construction quality that’s built to last
- Electric start ensures it’s always ready to go
- Can get noisy while operating
- Fairly heavy
Honda HRX 21 in. GCV200 4-in-1 Versamow System Walk Behind Mower w/Clip Director, MicroCut Twin Blades, Roto-Stop (BSS) & Self Charging Electric Start
The “Cadillac” of the competition, the famous top-line HRX is easily the best gas lawn mower on the market when everything’s considered. Powered by an incredibly potent and reliable GCV200 Honda engine, the newly arrived model takes what everyone loved about the original and kicks it up even further. The engine is equipped with an auto-choke mechanism and the lawn mower also has a cyclone battery that holds its charge for an entire season.
This beast also features the trademark MicroCut twin-blade system for finer cutting that sports 4 cutting surfaces as well as the classic HRX cruise control transmission. It’s the top of the line for a reason – it defines excellence in every way from the performance and power to the cutting-edge features and tank-like construction quality, making it the best gas powered lawn mower on the market.
- Features an auto-choke Honda engine
- Comes with a Rechargeable Cyclone battery
- HRX cruise-control transmission
- Roto-Stop blade brake clutch
- MicroCut twin-blade system with 4 cutting surfaces
- 3-position folding handles
- Versamow 4-in-1 (bag, mulch, discharge, shred)
- The Cyclone battery lasts for an entire season
- The engine keeps running while the blades start/stop using a Roto-Stop mechanism
- The 4 cutting surfaces result in much finer and cleaner cuts
- Easy storage due to foldable handles
Snapper P2185020E / 7800982 HI VAC 190cc 3-N-1 Rear Wheel Drive Variable Speed Self Propelled Lawn Mower with 21-Inch Deck and ReadyStart System and 7 Position Heigh-of-Cut – Electric Start Option
This is one of the best gas lawn mowers by Snapper sporting an ultra-powerful 190cc engine and 3-in-1 cutting system. It comes with a 21-inch durable steel cutting deck. The engine boasts of their ReadyStart system which means you don’t have to do anything and there is no choking or priming.
- 190cc Briggs & Stratton 850 series professional engine
- 21-inch mowing deck
- A ReadyStart starting system
- 3-in-1 cutting capacity including side discharge, mulch and rearing
- 7 height-of-cut adjustments from 1.25 to 4 inches
- An extremely powerful engine
- No priming or choking
- Clean and fine finish with HI VAC deck
- Easy to tailor the height with 7-position height adjustment
- Might get stuck in taller grass
Honda HRX217K5VKA 187cc Gas 21 in. 4-in-1 Versamow System Lawn Mower with Clip Director and MicroCut Blades 660250
Honda HRX217K5VKA has an extremely powerful engine, which is no surprise considering it’s coming from Honda, and just like the model seen previously, it’s one of the best gas lawn mowers on the market at the moment. The model has a 21-inch cutting width, at par with the industry trend, and its strong 190cc engine makes it fantastically easy to deal with all types of grass and terrain. It also has an auto-choke mechanism, the MicroCut tech and all the modern features we’ve come to love (7 cutting levels, foldable handle and more).
- A powerful 190cc Honda engine
- Comes with a 21-inch cutting width
- MicroCut technology with twin blades and 4 cutting surfaces
- Comes with a discharge bag
- 2.5-bushel discharge capacity
- 7-position cutting levels
- Foldable handle with a 41-inch height
- 190cc engine crushes all types of grass easily
- The handle comes with an adjustable height that can be custom set
- Discharge bag capacity larger than usual
- Easy to use and handle
- 5-year warranty as opposed to 3 years
- No side discharge option
- Height of each wheel needs to be adjusted separately
Snapper CRP218520 / 7800968 NINJA 190cc Rear Wheel Drive Variable Speed Lawn Mower with 21-Inch Deck, Ninja Mulching Blade and Height Adjustment
A high-powered, greatly performing commercial lawn mower by Snapper, the CRP NINJA is built for unmatched mulching performance. It is a heavy-duty gas lawn mower that is made to last and designed to take on any lawn – no matter how extensive or rough – and always deliver excellent mulching results. It features a strong 14-gauge steel deck and a potent 190cc Briggs & Stratton professional series engine. With a 7-position height adjustment handle and responsive controls, it’s highly comfortable and straightforward to use. It also has 10-inch rear wheels that can handle rough land while the NINJA blades ensure gorgeous results at all times. Can easily be considered to be one of the best self propelled gas lawn mowers to ever hit the market.
- Briggs & Stratton 850 professional series engine
- Ninja blade with 6 cutting surfaces
- A 14-gauge steel mowing deck
- Steel axle and wheels
- 7 height adjustments from 1.25 to 4 inches
- High durable and enduring build
- 10-inch rear wheels make for smooth movement
- 6 cutting surfaces result in fine cutting
- Customize the height of the handle with 7-position adjustment
- Quiet while in operation
- No oil drain plug
Featuring a mighty 163cc Briggs & Stratton engine, this gas lawn mower does really well in terms of performance, quality, durability and ease of use. It has a wide 22-inch steel cutting deck that comes with a 3-in-1 capacity including mulching, discharging and bagging. The front wheel is 8 inches while the rear wheel is 11 inches.
- 163cc 4-cycle engine
- A 22-inch steel mowing deck
- 3-in-1 cutting capacity including mulching, discharging and bagging the grass
- Auto-walk self-propelled wheel drive system
- 3-position height adjustment
- Exclusive 4×4 drive rear hi-wheel that makes for easy maneuverability
- You can control the speed of mowing through the auto-walk self-propulsion
- The handle is easily adjustable with 3 options
- Easily moves and handles uneven terrain
- A premium-priced model along with shipping charges
Featuring a durable 160cc Honda engine, this Husqvarna gas push lawn mower has a 21-inch cutting deck and great power for the price. It is ideal for small to medium yards as even though it doesn’t have a self propelled feature, it’s very convenient to operate with its fairly lightweight but sturdy body, agile maneuverability and height adjustable handles. With a great set of wheels that gives it the ability to cross uneven terrain and a versatile 3-in-1 system, it’s a great all-rounder choice and a serious contender for the title of the best gas push lawn mower you can get.
- A powerful 160cc Honda GVC160 engine
- 21-inch cutting width
- A 3-in-1 cutting system including side discharge, mulching and bagging
- 12-inch rear wheels
- Easy to operate for smaller lawns
- Solid power and performance for the price
- 12-inch high rear wheels make for easy movement on hilly terrain as well
- Ergonomic handle with adjustable height option
- The foldable handle makes for easy storage
- All wheels need to be manually moved for height adjustment
Honda HRR216K9VKA 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower
This is one of the best gas lawn mowers by Honda in terms of value for the price. The lawn mower is equipped with a Smart Drive speed control mechanism and also boasts of finer and cleaner cuts due to the MicroCut twin-blade system. The best gas lawn mower under 300 bucks, this Honda lawn mower also features a 3-in-1 cutting design and 6-position height adjustments for fantastic versatility.
- A dominant Honda GCV160 engine
- Auto-choke mechanism
- MicroCut twin blade system
- A 3-in-1 cutting design including mulching, bagging, and side discharge
- 6-position height adjustment control
- Variable speed transmission
- No manual choking of the engine
- Twin-blade mechanism leads to finer and cleaner cuts
- Smoothly maneuvers on uneven terrain and slopes
- Each wheel needs separate height adjustment
If you’re interested in reading more about the best gas lawn mowers, be sure to take a look at our follow-up article below:
Delivering roaring power, flawless performance and tank-like durability, these truly are the best gas lawn mowers on the market and they’ll ensure that you’ll not only have a gorgeous-looking lawn but also a comfortable and straightforward mowing experience. With modern features and beautifully attractive prices to boot, they truly can’t be beat! Thank you for reading our gas lawn mower reviews and we hope you’ve found your new machine – as always, have a great day!