A staple of lawn mowing due to their timeless appeal, attractive prices and simple but effective performance, reel mowers are a classic choice to get a good-looking result. They’ve been used for decades and the competition among brands and models is fierce but after thorough testing and evaluation, we’ve selected the very best reel mowers on the market.
These reel mowers are expertly designed, ruggedly built and deliver great performance – all at a great price. Let’s take a look at the winners and find the perfect one for you!
Best Reel Mowers Comparison
These are the best reel mowers for sale on the market, thoroughly compared for you.
|Reel Mower||Gardena 4025-U 15" 25V 3.2 AMP Reel Mower||Fiskars 362050-1001 StaySharp Max Reel Mower, 18 Inch||Fiskars 17 Inch Staysharp Push Reel Lawn Mower (6208)||Scotts Outdoor Power Tools 2000-20" Classic||Great States 815-18 18-Inch Reel Mower||Greenworks 16-Inch Reel Lawn Mower with Grass Catcher 25052||Great States 304-14 14-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower||American Lawn Mower Company 1204-14" Mower|
|Weight||35.4 pounds||51.7 pounds||40.2 pounds||34 pounds||27 pounds||26 pounds||21 pounds||20 pounds|
|Special Feature||Battery Powered Rotation + Bag Option||2x Cutting Power + StaySharp + Tracking Wheels||StaySharp + Tracking Wheels||Tracking Wheels||Bag Option|
|Warranty||1 Year||Lifetime Limited||Lifetime Limited||2 Years||2 Years||4 Years||1 Year||1 Year|
Best Reel Mowers Reviews
Here you can read our best reel mowers reviews, giving you an in-depth look at every chosen reel mower and letting you know exactly what each one has to offer. This ensures you’ll make the right choice.
The best powered reel mower on the market and also one of the most popular, the Gardena 4025-U features a potent 3.2 AMP motor that makes cutting a breeze. It’s simple to use, like all reel mowers, but uniquely effortless due to its battery-powered reel that smoothly but strongly rotates its 5 blades. As I’ve mentioned at the start, it’s easily the best powered reel mower on the market as it delivers all the benefits without all the downsides that you’d expect – you can even use it without the battery as a regular reel mower. Before I got it, I was a bit skeptical about its maintenance and battery life, but after I gave it a spin and compared it to my other reel mower reviews, it started to shine. It positively impressed with its performance and construction quality and quickly climbed up the ranks to be considered one of the best reel lawn mowers I’ve ever used.
- 35.4 pounds
- 15 inches height
- 25-volt, 3.2-amp lithium-ion battery
- LED display for battery levels
- Ergonomically shaped handle
- Gives a sharp, clean and uniform cut
- Gentle on the grass
- Cutting and pushing made drastically easier with the battery-powered setting
- Long battery life
- No harmful emissions or loud noise
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Foldable and compact for easier storage
- Takes six to eight hours to recharge
- Electrical component reduces its “shelf life” and durability
Having used their products in the past and liking them, I was intrigued by Fiskar’s new StaySharp reel mower and decided to give a try – I couldn’t be happier. It’s incredibly well-built, attractively priced and has a set of features that make it standout from the competition such as StaySharp (maintains the 5 blades sharper for longer) and the InertiaDrive (which gives it two times the cutting power of a regular reel mower).
Using this Fiskars reel mower is enjoyable not only due to how strong the cutting performance is but also due to how nimble it is to maneuver. If you’re looking for the best reel mower for bermuda grass or other tough varieties, then this Fiskars is perfect for you. The results are excellent, delivering a beautiful evenly cut lawn and due to how potent the reel is, you can tackle all kinds of grass and even use it on rough terrain. In short, it’s the best reel mower on the market and a fantastic solution for both beginners and pros alike.
- 24 x 23.5 x 14.2 inches
- 51.7 pounds
- 60% easier to push
- InertiaDrive reel designed for all types of grass, with twice the cutting power
- StaySharp cutting system to protect long-term damage to the machinery
- Reversible grass chute
- Blades adjustable from 1 to 4 inches in height
- Wider cutting area due to inset wheels
- Light and easy to push
- Suitable for all types of grass
- Mows easily over rough patches
- Easy-access blade-height adjuster
- Reversible grass chute that can be placed at the back, side or front for waste collection
- Quiet and eco-friendly, as compared to gas or electric mowers
- Not suitable for cutting tall grass
- Plastic wheels susceptible to easy wear and tear
Just like the more advanced model we’ve seen above, this is one of the best reel mowers on the market and a worthy addition to our list. It features both StaySharp and the great InertiaDrive technology that gives it more power to cut through rough spots and twigs and the construction quality – while not as excellent – is still very solid and sturdy. I’d also consider it one of the best reel mowers for zoysia grass and other similar varieties because even with their volume and natural toughness, the incredibly effective blades on this model make quick work of them. It’s simple, effective and yet another awesome choice that is attractively priced.
- 23.5 x 18 x 13.8 inches
- 40.2 pounds
- 30% easier to push than other reel mowers
- 50% more cutting power
- Equipped with the StaySharp cutting system
- 1.5 to 3.5 inches blade-height adjustment
- Cuts through grasses of all kinds
- Cuts over hard patches or twigs without getting jammed
- Reduces strain with its easy-to-push technology
- Long-lasting blade sharpness, thanks to its StaySharp feature
- A versatile blade-height range
- Comes with a two-year warranty
- Does not have an adjustable grass chute
- Does not cut grass taller than 5 or 6 inches
The Scotts Outdoor 2000-20 is one of the best manual reel mowers you can get – with its 20-inch cutting width, large wheels and great construction quality, it’s ensured to deliver great results and last countless hours of use. It does a great job on providing sharp, close, neat cuts and the extra-wide 20″ deck ensures you can finish any mowing task much more quickly.
- 28 x 18 x 10 inches
- 34 pounds
- 20-inch cutting width
- Easy to assemble
- 1 to 3 inches height-adjustment options
- Five-blade reel for precision cut
- Dual wheels for easy maneuvering
- Wider cutting area gets the work done in less time
- Quick-snap height adjustment for blades
- Gentle and neat cuts with the five-blade reel
- Light and convenient for storage
- Cushioned, ergonomic handle
- Quiet and eco-friendly
- Not suitable for tall grass
- Wheels can be rickety
If all you want is a no-frills, affordable mower that works like a charm, then this Great States unit is a great choice. Among the best reel lawn mowers that the market has to offer, it delivers a simple, get-to-work performance, cuts beautifully well and it’s super easy to maintain as well as offering truly rugged construction quality. With a great set of wheels to boot, it’s also one of the best reel mowers for uneven terrain.
- 23.1 x 10.6 x 13.8 inches
- 22 pounds
- 16.5-inch blade width
- Adjustable height
- Five-blade reel
- 10-inch wheels
- Alloy steel blades for long-lasting sharpness
- 10-inch wheels for easy maneuvering
- Long-lasting sharp blades for neat cutting
- Easy to store and maintain
- Eco-friendly and quiet
- Easy on the pocket
- Unsuitable for heavy-duty mowing
- Gets jammed by sticks or similar obstacles on the lawn, so not meant for larger lawns
The 16″ cutting deck seen here is great to tackle smaller lawns but it’s also available in larger sizes up to 20″ so you can adapt its width to your needs. With a fantastic 4 year long warranty to boot, it’s worthy of being considered the best reel mower with grass catcher compatibility.
- 22 x 47 x 29.8 inches
- 26 pounds
- 16-inch cutting path
- 4-position height adjustment
- 10-inch wheels + 2-inch rear rollers
- A wide, 16-inch cutting path for a more efficient mowing experience
- Mulch or bag, as per your preference
- Dual wheels for a smooth and easy push
- Easy to assemble
- No gas, no electricity, no battery—a quiet and green mower
- Jams on sticks or debris on the lawn
- Small collection bag, fills up too quickly
This Great States reel mower is simple but amazingly effective, delivering smooth performance, great looking cuts and a heavy-duty body that’s made to last as well as a comfortable handle. Its large wheels make it one of the best reel mowers for tall grass while the effective set of blades ensure you have a smooth experience while cutting.
My daughter recently started showing a great deal of interest in plants and gardening. She was after my life to let her mow the lawn, but I wasn’t too sure with a bulky gas mower for obvious reasons. I decided to let her use our classic Great States reel lawn mower due to it being a smaller and more lightweight solution than most and she did a fantastic job with it – that’s how easy it is to use. All of this coupled with a very affordable price-tag makes it one of the best reel mowers for small yards.
- 20 x 24 x 42.5 inches
- 21 pounds
- 5-blade ball bearing reel for sharper, cleaner cutting
- Steel alloy blades
- 14-inch blade width
- Hard enamel finish for rust prevention
- Super light! Easy to maneuver
- Tool-free assembly
- T-style handle with cushioned grip
- No fuel, no electricity, no battery needed
- Easy, multiple height adjustments
- Not meant for large lawns due to limited blade reel coverage
- Cannot cut tall grass
This reel mower by the American Lawn Mower Company features a smaller 14-inch cutting width that perfectly adapts to smaller lawns and areas while the 4 blade design keeps it lightweight and easy to push.
It’s simple, easy-to-store, gives a fairly good cut and ticks all the boxes for a light mowing task. Plus, it is super affordable too!
- 20 x 24 x 42.5 inches
- 20 pounds
- 14-inch, 4-blade reel
- 8.5-inch composite wheels with rear roller bars
- 1-inch to 1.5-inch cutting height adjustment
- Easy to assemble, without any tools
- Easy to store
- Precise and neat cuts with its scissor-action cut feature
- T-shaped ergonomic handles
- A great budget buy
- Not suitable for larger lawns due to limited blade coverage
- Not enough blade height to cut tall grass
Remington RM3100 18-Inch Reel Push Mower
With this Remington reel mower model, you’re not only getting a great product but also an affordable one. It performs the basic mowing tasks splendidly and in a straightforward fashion, while the fairly wide 18-inch cutting width makes it one of the best reel mower for large lawns. With an extra lightweight frame, a grass catcher and a comfortable handle, it’s nimble and super easy to use too.
- 26.6 x 17.7 x 10 inches
- 13 pounds
- Multiple height-adjustment options
- Large 6’’ x 10’’ wheels
- 18-inch cutting width
- Ergonomic handle with foam grip
- 0.75 to 2.5 inches of cutting height
- Lighter than most in this price range
- Easy on the pocket
- Wide cutting area
- Adjustable height—comes in handy when the kids want to mow
- Dual wheels that make the mower run and turn smoothly
- One of the best reel mowers for St Augustine grass
- Cannot cut tall grass
- Not suitable for rough patches or lawns with twigs, sticks, etc.
As these excellent units show, reel mowers continue to be a fantastic choice for anyone looking for a simple yet beautifully effective lawn mower that delivers great results at an especially affordable price.
Let us know in the comments section below which model you ended up getting and as always, have a great day!