Finding the best lawn mower can be a tricky ordeal – there’s a sea of choices out there and their type, performance, power and quality all vary immensely. Thankfully, we’ve done all the hard work for you. After countless hours of thorough testing, analysis and comparisons, we boiled down our list of lawn mower reviews to only the very best – and we’re going to be taking a look at it today!
Delivering an unbeatable amount of quality and unmatched performance, they blow the competition out of the water and do it all at an attractive price. From the classic push and self-propelled lawn mowers to the bigger, more powerful riding ones and from gas to electric, we’ve got a collection of all the best lawn mowers you can get. Without further ado, let’s dive right in and find the perfect one for you!
Best Lawn Mowers Comparison
These are the best lawn mowers on the market, thoroughly compared for you. Let’s first take a look at the classic walk-behind selection and then below at the riding selection as well.
|Lawn Mower||Troy-Bilt WC33 420cc 33-inch Wide Cut RWD Lawn Mower||Honda HRX 217K4HZA 21 in. GCV200 4-in-1 Versamow Mower||Honda HRX217K5VKA 187cc Gas 21 in. 4-in-1 Versamow Mower||EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower||Snapper XD 82V MAX Self-Propelled Electric Mower||Greenworks Pro 80V 21-Inch Brushless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower||Husqvarna 7021P 21-Inch Honda GCV160 Gas Powered Push Mower||Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower, 18 Inch, Black|
|Power Source||Gas||Gas||Gas||Electric (Battery-Powered)||Electric (Battery-Powered)||Electric (Battery-Powered)||Gas||Manual|
|Capabilities||Bag, Mulch, Side Discharge||Bag, Mulch, Rear Discharge and Shred||Bag, Mulch, Rear Discharge and Shred||Bag, Mulch, Side Discharge||Bag, Mulch, Side Discharge||Bag, Mulch, Side Discharge||Bag, Mulch, Side Discharge||Front or Rear Discharge|
|Warranty||3 Years||5 Years||5 Years||5 Years||5 Years||2 Years||3 Years||Limited|
|Zero Turn Mower||Husqvarna MZ61 61 in. 27 HP B&S Zero Turn Riding Mower||Husqvarna Z254 54 in. 26 HP Zero Turn Riding Mower||Ariens IKON-X 52" Zero Turn Mower 23hp Kawasaki||Husqvarna YTA24V48 24V Tractor Mower, 48"/Twin|
|Engine Power||27 HP||26 HP||23 HP||24 HP|
|Hydrostatic Transmission||Fast CVT|
|Warranty||3 Years||3 Years||3 Years||3 Years|
Best Lawn Mower Reviews
Here you can read our in-depth best lawn mower reviews, ensuring you know exactly what each one has to offer and which one’s right for you. Let’s start with the 8 walk-behind machines before moving on to the 4 riding machines we’ve chosen.
The highly potent electric start Troy-Bilt WC33 is a professional self-propelled lawn mower that features a roaring 420cc OHV engine to back its extra-wide 33-inch cutting deck and large wheels. It’s a beast of a machine that delivers unmatched performance. The lawn mower has a rear wheel drive system which features a variable throttle control and 4 forward speeds while the 33-inch wide, twin blade cutting deck coupled with the effective zero-turn capabilities given by the front wheels combine to give you features similar to a riding lawn mower in a walk-behind model. It can also be adjusted with a single lever and there are 8 settings ranging between 1.25 inches and 3.5 inches.
The Troy-Bilt WC33 features a 2-in-1 convertible cutting deck for mulch and side discharge and the clear view gas tank allows you to view the fuel capacity of the mower. Overall, it’s a roaringly powerful machine that delivers no holds barred potency and performance coupled with a built-to-last body and a truly fair price.
- 420 cc OHV engine
- Self-propelled mower with electric start
- 4 rear-wheel drive
- 33-inch twin blade cutting deck
- 4 forward speeds with rear-wheel drive system
- Zero-turn maneuverability
- 2-in 1 mulch and side discharge
- 3-year limited warranty
- The zero turn with “turn on a dime” maneuverability helps to save time
- The handle of the mower is very comfortable
- Electric start is very handy
- Incredible power and performance
- Built like a tank, will last a lifetime of use
- Bagger kit is sold separately
- Can be fairly expensive for small lawn owners
Honda 662340 21 in. GCV200 4-in-1 Versamow System Walk Behind Mower w/Clip Director, MicroCut Twin Blades, Roto-Stop (BSS) & Self Charging Electric Start
If you’re looking for a high-quality gas-powered walk-behind lawn mower for your home, then the Honda HRX217K4HZA Series lawn mower is an excellent buy with its powerful engine, sleek looks and improved performance. The Honda HRX217K4HZA HRX Series lawn mower offers dependable starting, enhanced power output, easy maintenance, Honda’s trademark reliability and unmatched versatility with its Versamow system.
The lawn mower’s large fuel tank opening makes oil changes easier while the electric start and rechargeable battery ensure a reliable, straightforward experience. Overall, the Honda HRX217K4HZA HRX Series lawn mower offers a great grass cutting experience and carpet-like perfect cutting, giving you everything the age-old series is popular for with an added boost of modern day technology and innovation. An excellent lawn mower for both residential and commercial use.
- Honda GCV 200cc engine
- 21-inch cutting deck
- Self-propelled gas lawn mower
- Electric start pre-equipped
- Rechargeable battery
- Automatic choke
- Versamow 4-in-1 makes it able to bag, mulch, discharge and shred
- Rugged set of wheels
- Heavy-duty frame
- Excellent construction quality
- Honda’s GCV engine is one of the very best on the market
- Powerful yet very smooth and easy to handle
- Straightforward assembly and operation
- Flexible speed adjustments make the lawn mower responsive
- Electric start makes getting ready to work a breeze
- Versamow makes it extremely versatile
- Attractive price for the quality it offers
Honda HRX217K5VKA 187cc Gas 21 in. 4-in-1 Versamow System Lawn Mower with Clip Director and MicroCut Blades 660250
The HRX217K5VKA gas lawn mower from Honda has great features and delivers impressive performance at an especially attractive price. It’s well-designed and offers sufficient power to mow your lawn efficiently. Among all the lawn mowers on our review, the Honda HRX217K5VKA is the best lawn mower in terms of the bag capacity and you don’t have to stop your work to empty out the bag often. The mower offers 6 cutting positions which allow you to adjust it according to the length of the grass.
The variable rear wheels deliver strong self-propulsion. The handles are built in a way to make the maneuvering of the lawn mower very easy and less tiring. The cushioning of the handle is designed in a way to protect you from jolts during use. Overall, the low weight and comfortable design of the Honda HRX217K5VKA, along with its powerful performance and reasonable price, makes the lawn mower a good value buy.
- Self-propelled gas-powered mower
- 187cc engine
- 6 cutting positions
- Smart Drive
- Variable speed
- Micro-cut twin blades
- 3-year warranty
- The 4-in-1 capabilities work beautifully well
- Highly comfortable to use
- Cuts smoothly
- Easy to use
- The mower does not have a quick-wash port, so you will need to flip the lawn mower to clean out the grass clippings
- Can get noisy
Among the most advanced electric rechargeable lawn mower on the market, the EGO POWER+ mower delivers the performance of a gas-powered mower without the noise, hassle and the fumes. The 20-inch deck of the mower reduces the passes needed to mow your lawn and the weather-resistant construction makes the mower a durable piece of equipment. The EGO POWER+ mower has LED lights that allow you to mow your lawn at any time of the day and comes with a good battery life.
The 3-in-1 function offers superior performance at all times, irrespective of whether you’re mulching, using the side discharge chute of bagging. The EGO POWER+ mower is very silent when in operation, easy to operate and provides excellent results that you can depend on.
- 56-Volts of power
- 5.0Ah Arc-Lithium 56V battery
- 55 minutes of cutting run time
- 30 minutes of charging time
- 20-inch deck
- LED lights
- Extra-silent operation
- Compact, foldable design
- Weather-resistant construction
- Compact and foldable design of the mower makes cleaning and storing very easy and convenient
- 3-in-1 mower – mulching, side discharge and bagging
- LED light allows you to work at any time of the day or night
- Push to start function
- Quiet operation
- Might not cut thicker grass very effectively
- Clip chute design could be improved
Snapper XD 82V MAX Electric Cordless 21-Inch Self-Propelled Lawnmower Kit with Batteries & Rapid Charger, 1687914, SXD21SPWM82K
If you want a battery powered lawn mower that can handle rougher grass and heavier work loads wjemn compared to the electric competition, then the Snapper XD 82V self-propelled cordless lawn mower is a great option. The 3-in-1 design of the lawn mower allows it to mulch the grass, bag it and also side discharge it very easily, making it versatile for any task, while the impressively powerful 82V system delivers plenty of potency and performance in both cutting and driving. It also has a unique smart load-sensing technology which allows it to adjust the power to meet your cutting requirements.
As we’ve mentioned above, it’s powered by an 82V, 2, 4 or 8 Ah Max lithium-ion battery that offers around 45 minutes of runtime and the rapid charger ensures you can get the battery up to 100% in just 30 minutes. The Snapper XD is built for easy use as well due to its great controls and nimble handling plus it features great craftsmanship, ensuring its durability. The compact design of the mower and its vertical storage capability allow you to save a lot of space when storing it too which is always a bonus. Other features like the 7 positions of cutting height and the easy push-to-start button further solidify the mower’s quality and ease of use. In short, the Snapper XD 82V is highly impressive not only for a battery powered solution but also for such an attractively priced machine.
- Powered by an 82V 2, 4 or 8 Ah Max lithium-ion battery
- 3-in-1 21-inch steel mowing deck
- Self-propelled mower
- Variable speed
- Single lever height-of-cut adjustment
- 7 cutting height settings
- Easy push start button
- 3-in-1 mowing deck allows mulching, side discharge or bagging (includes large grass bagger).
- Compact vertical design allows you to store the lawn mower in tight spaces
- Mower is very easy and enjoyable to operate
- Eco-friendly operation
- Impressive performance
- Great construction quality
- Rapid charger included
- Louder than the electrical competition
- Runtime can be less than advertised depending on your lawn and terrain
The Greenworks Pro offers long battery life and excellent maneuverability, which makes it a great electric lawn mower that is perfect for all kinds of residential lawns – especially small to medium ones. With its angled design and large-size wheels, the Greenworks Pro looks like a race car and I’m happy to say that the performance doesn’t disappoint either.
Made from tough polymer, this cordless lawn mower is quite durable and convenient to use, especially due to the nimble handling. The wide cutting deck allows you to mow your lawn efficiently and the height adjustment lever easily allows you to select from 7 cutting heights. The 80V system with 4.0 Ah batteries works wonderfully well and manages to output around 45 minutes of runtime on a full charge. Overall, the Greenworks Pro 80V is a well-built machine that offers solid performance and efficiency that’s impressive for a battery powered unit, making it one of the best lawn mowers of its category on our list.
- Cordless electric lawn mower
- Brushless 80V motor
- 4.0 Ah battery
- 45 minutes of runtime on a single charge
- 7 cutting height adjustments
- Smart Cut Load sensing technology
- 3-in-1 capability
- Lightweight lawn mower
- Quiet operation
- Easy to adjust the height settings as required
- Straightforward usage
- Great performance and construction quality
- Battery life can’t take on larger lawns
If you’re on the lookout for a powerful lawn mower, which is also reliable, then undoubtedly the Husqvarna 7021P gas-powered push lawn mower fits the bill. The push mower has great features that make it an excellent ally for any homeowner. The lawn mower is equipped with a 21-inch cutting deck and 160cc engine that offers pretty good performance. The EasyStart system makes the starting up of the machine super easy.
The Husqvarna 7021P is pretty lightweight and the 12-inch wheels make the machine very easy to maneuver. The lawn mower has a 9-position height adjustment feature and the 3-in-1 cutting system lets you bag, mulch or side discharge the clippings. The soft grip handle of the mower reduces the vibrations and prevents your hands from getting tired and the handle can be height adjusted so that you can handle the mower comfortably without stretching or stooping. Overall, in terms of performance and quality, the Husqvarna 7021P is an excellent investment.
- Gas-powered push lawn mower
- 160 cc Honda GVC160 engine
- 21-inch cutting deck
- 3-in-1 cutting system
- 12-inch rear wheels
- Adjustable handle
- Foldable design
- Comes with a powerful, highly reliable Honda motor
- It’s a potent and efficient performer
- Very affordable for its quality
- Large rear wheels make it able to take on rougher terrain
- May find handling tall grass difficult
- The difference between the cutting heights is quite large
If you love mowing your lawn, then the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower will definitely make you very happy. Last on our best lawn mower reviews, the Fiskars StaySharp with its innovative and lightweight design delivers powerful and smooth cutting. The 5-blade reel of the lawn mower is very quiet – as expected – and remains sharp for several years as well as delivering an impressively smooth cutting experience.
The advanced technology of the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower delivers top-notch cutting performance without the need for any cords, gas or charging. The unique design of the mower makes it easier to push by a factor of over 60% when compared to other reel mowers.
- 18-inch cutting width
- Lightweight design
- InertiaDrive reel
- 5-blade reel
- StaySharp cutting system
- Reversible grass chute
- Inset wheels
- Cutting height adjustment from 1 inch to 4 inches
- StaySharp technology ensures that you don’t have to sharpen the blades of the mowers for many years
- 60% easier to push when compared to other reel mowers
- 2x more cutting power when compared to the reel mower competition
- Simple, straightforward and effective
- Sturdy construction quality
- Not suited for heavy-duty use or extensive areas
- Can be difficult and time consuming to assemble
Best Lawn Mowers – Riding Choices
Let’s now take a look at some of the best lawn mowers you can get of the riding category.
The first lawn mower on our lawn mower reviews is the Husqvarna MZ61 zero turn mower, which makes the tiring job of extensive lawn mowing a quick, easy and enjoyable experience. Equipped with a powerful 27 HP engine from Briggs and Stratton, a wide 61-inch cutting deck and heavy-duty blades, the MZ61 makes mowing your lawn a breeze – even in a commercial setting.
The mower has a debris shield in the front that prevents the grass clippings from being blown back at you while the heavy-duty construction and big, rugged wheels ensure it can take on anything. It also has other useful features such as a large fuel tank, add-on compatibility (bagging kit, ROPS kit and more), cutting height adjustment and a high-back seat. Overall, it’s a fantastic machine and one of the top choices of its category, making it one of the best lawn mowers of all time.
- 27 HP Briggs and Stratton engine
- 61-inch cutting deck
- Hydrostatic Transmission
- Heavy-duty construction
- High-back seat with armrests
- ROPS compatibility
- 3-year warranty
- Powerful performance and excellent cutting results
- Zero turn allows easy 360 turning and easy maneuverability
- Low center of gravity makes the lawn mower balanced and stable
- Heavy-duty construction ensures a lifetime of use
- Not suited for small residential lawns
- Needs adequate storage and maintenance
Striking a perfect balance between quality and price that gives you professional-tier features at a residential-level value, the highly popular Z254 has won the hearts of many and will continue to do so over the years.
Starting with its peppy 26 HP Kohler engine and the fairly large 54″ mowing deck, it can sail through your lawn and deliver flawless looking results in no time, ensuring you turn long hard tasks into quick and easy ones. Its frame is very well built and durable but also well designed which coupled with the great controls make the machine nimble and easy to maneuver. It’s comfortable too due to its high-back seat, padded controls and great suspension. With the essentials also covered such as cutting height adjustment, add-on kit compatibility and hydrostatic transmission, you’re in for the full-package at a very attractive price. Another highly worthy entry on our best lawn mowers list and one you can’t miss if you’re looking for a zero turn solution.
- 26 HP Kohler engine
- 54-inch cutting deck
- Hydrostatic transmission
- Durable steel frame
- High-backed seat
- Padded control levers
- Add-on kit compatibility
- 3-year warranty
- Superb quality for the price
- Professional level design and detailing
- Fantastic power and performance
- Sturdy but nimble frame
- Tight and responsive controls
The IKON-X is among the best value-for-money zero turn lawn mowers from Ariens. It features a 23 HP 726 cc Kawasaki V-Twin engine and is good for use all-year round. The 52-inch cutting deck is large enough to ensure that your work is done very quickly. The sturdy tubular frame ensures that the lawn mower is durable and stress resistant.
The Ariens 915223 IKON-X has a 4-point dual arm deck hanging system which is easily controllable and lets you select the cutting height suitable for you. The padded high back seat, armrests and the padded control levers make the lawn mower very comfortable and easy to use. Overall, the Ariens 915223 IKON-X is a great option that can help you cut your lawn smoothly and quickly, while also delivering a huge bang for your buck.
- 23 HP (726 cc) Kawasaki V-Twin engine
- 10-gauge tubular steel frame
- 52-inch cutting deck
- 4-point dual arm deck hanging system
- Padded high-backed seat with armrests
- Padded control levers
- 3-year warranty
- Great power and performance
- Excellent construction quality will last a lifetime
- Very comfortable to use
- Tight, responsive handling
- Easy, enjoyable ride
- Will cut your lawn quickly and smoothly
- Fantastic value for the price
- Not the most fuel efficient machine
If you’re looking for a compact lawn mower, then the Husqvarna YTH24V48 Yard Tractor is a great mower that offers excellent performance. Equipped with a robust 24 HP Briggs & Stratton V-Twin engine and a 48-inch cutting deck, the Husqvarna YTH24V48 is ideal for medium-sized lawns.
The hydrostatic pedal transmission of the lawn mower offers a smooth ride and the Husqvarna YTH24V48 has several other ergonomic features like the adjustable, mid-back seat with armrests, comfortable steering wheel and cutting height adjustment, which make the yard tractor extremely comfortable and easy to operate. Extremely lightweight and compact combined with great features, the Husqvarna YTH24V48 is a great buy for the price.
- 24 HP Briggs & Stratton V-Twin engine
- Hydrostatic Pedal Transmission
- 48-inch cutting width
- Electric Blade Engagement
- Cruise Control
- Compact, lightweight yet powerful
- Adjustable seat with armrests makes the operation very comfortable
- Powerful engine
- Cruise control
- Adjusting the height can be quite tedious
- Spindles are made of aluminum and not of steel or cast iron
- No zero-turn capabilities
These are great mowers that for one reason or another, couldn’t quite make it to the top of our lawn mower reviews list. While they might not be the first machines that come to mind when considering which is the best lawn mower, they’re still solid choices that deserve consideration. Due to this, we’ll list them here under the Honorable Mentions section to ensure they get some light.
Looking for a self-propelled lawn mower to mow your lawn? Then definitely, the Greenworks 21-inch self-propelled mower is the best lawn mower to consider. The 40V cordless lawn mower is equipped with a battery storage compartment that enables you to carry an extra battery so that your runtime is extended.
The Greenworks 21-inch mower delivers improved functionality and the height of the cutting deck can be adjusted with 7 settings ranging between 13/8-inch to 33/4-inch with a single lever. When you need more power, you can use the Innovative Smart Cut technology to boost the blade speed. Overall, the Greenworks lawn mower is a great buy, thanks to its smooth and quiet operation, lightweight build and quick-push start button.
- 40V cordless self-propelled mower
- 21-inch steel deck
- Brushless motor
- Self-propelled rear wheel drive
- USB port in battery
- 3-In-1 design
- 7 height settings
- Dual battery port design
- Durable deck lets you handle large grassy areas easily and quickly
- Brushless motor delivers more torque, longer life and quiet operation
- 3-in-1 design allows you to mulch, side discharge or bag the grass clippings
- Can mow very long grass
- Lawn mower is pretty large in size
- Does not cut grass very well
If you’re interested in learning more about the best lawn mowers for a more specific task or of a more specific style, then be sure to read our in-depth follow-up articles below:
- Best electric lawn mowers
- Best battery powered lawn mowers
- Best gas lawn mowers
- Best cordless lawn mowers
- Best commercial lawn mowers
- Best lawn mower for the money
- Best lawn mower for hills
- Best lawn mowers for small yard
- Best mulching mowers
- Best lawn mower under 300
- Best lawn mower under 200
- Cheap lawn mowers
- Best lawn mower for Bermuda grass
- Best lawn mower for Zoysia grass
- Best lawn mowers for all acres
- Best lawn mower brands
Want to know even more? Then take a look at these popular articles that talk about specific types of lawn mowers:
- Best self propelled lawn mowers
- Best push mowers
- Best walk-behind mowers
- Best reel mowers
- Best riding lawn mowers
- Best zero turn mowers
- Best robot lawn mowers
Striking a perfect balance between quality and price that makes them rise above the fierce competition, the models we’ve seen today are without a doubt the best lawn mowers for sale on the market. From beastly powerful motors and flawless performance to top-notch construction quality and cutting-edge features, you can’t go wrong with any of them.
Even though this guide’s extensive, we truly hope you not only enjoyed reading it but also found it tremendously useful – that’s our main goal. Thanks for reading, enjoy your new lawn mower and as always – have yourself a fantastic day!