Taking on hills with a mower and getting great results isn’t easy – you need to ensure that your machine has unique features and qualities that make it capable of performing successfully. Self propelled lawn mowers are a great type of machine for the job but if you want truly high-quality results, you’ll need to get the best self propelled lawn mowers for hills on the market. Only a few specific models fit the bill and after thorough testing and analysis of the best self propelled lawn mowers in general, we’ve found the ones that excel on hills and we’re going to be taking a look at them in this article.
From unique wheels and beastly power that ensures they can easily and safely climb steep hills to blades and mowing decks that guarantee professional results, they’ve got everything you need to mow hills perfectly and achieve a beautiful looking lawn. Let’s take a look at the winners and find the right one for you!
Best Self Propelled Lawn Mowers for Hills Reviewed
These are the best self propelled lawn mowers for hills, thoroughly reviewed for you to ensure that you get the perfect one.
The first option on our list is the extremely powerful, heavy-duty Troy-Bilt WC33 self-propelled lawn mower that comes with four rear-wheel-drive forward speeds as well as reverse and neutral options. The huge 33-inch twin-blade cutting deck coupled with extra-large wheels, heavy body and fantastic controls – as well as a unique zero-turn capability – makes it easily one of the best self propelled lawn mowers for hills, especially in a more professional setting. With other bonuses like deck wash, electric start and tank-like durability, it blows the commercial-level competition out of the water.
- 420cc OHV engine
- Easy electric start
- 4 rear-wheel drive forward speeds
- 33-inch twin blade cutting deck
- Zero-turn capability
- Responsive controls
- One of the most powerful self-propelled lawn mowers
- Electric start makes it very easy to use
- Huge 33-inch cutting deck makes quick work out of extensive lawns
- Incredible performance with any type of grass
- Huge wheels can take on any terrain
- The bag is sold separately
Honda 662340 21 in. GCV200 4-in-1 Versamow System Walk Behind Mower w/Clip Director, MicroCut Twin Blades, Roto-Stop (BSS) & Self Charging Electric Start
The top-of-the-line model from Honda’s HRX series, the incredibly popular and equally as potent Honda HRX217K4HZA is a beast of a machine. From the essentials – like the famously potent and reliable Honda GVC200 engine and excellent construction quality – to the bells and whistles – like the 4-in-1 Versamow system, the effortless electric start and the hydrostatic transmission – this model spares no effort in setting itself apart as one of the best self propelled lawn mowers for hills and in general as well. With a set of large, rugged wheels and fantastic driving power and speed, it can take on anything and come out victorious, delivering perfect results in the end.
- Famously potent and reliable Honda GCV200 200cc engine
- Super resistant 21-inch Nexite deck
- Electric start
- MicroCut twin blades
- Roto-Stop blade-system
- Automatic choke
- Versamow 4-in-1 system (bag, mulch, discharge and shred)
- Rechargeable battery
- Flawless performance on all 4 tasks
- Incredibly robust and potent engine
- Fantastic construction quality
- The electric start is a big advantage
- Comes with the company’s signature micro cut twin blades
- Roto-Stop blade-system allows you to step away without turning the system off and on
Snapper P2185020E 7800982 HI VAC 190cc 3-N-1 Rear Wheel Drive Variable Speed Self Propelled Lawn Mower with 21-Inch Deck, ReadyStart and Height Adjustment
This Snapper lawn mower is great for hills because of three distinct features that the company offers – the rear-wheel drive and the variable-speed disc drive transmission combined with the smooth-turn differential. The device also comes with a 21-inch HI VAC deck that leaves your yard looking great each time.
- Briggs & Stratton 850 Professional Series engine
- 21-inch mowing deck
- Multiple options to dispense clippings
- Seven height-adjustment options
- Rear-wheel drive
- Variable-speed disc drive transmission
- HI VAC bagging system
- Large rear wheels help in covering different terrains with ease
- Excellent cutting performance
- Potent, reliable 190cc engine
- Great controls and nimble maneuvering
- The assembly process can get confusing
Honda HRX217K5VKA 187cc Gas 21 in. 4-in-1 Versamow System Lawn Mower with Clip Director and MicroCut Blades 660250
If you are looking for a great quality lawn mower that can give you impressive coverage with variable speed, the Honda HRX217K5VKA 187cc Gas 4-in-1 Versamow System Lawn Mower is definitely worth a look as it delivers the famous Honda quality at an especially attractive price. This self-propelled mower comes with micro cut twin blades that lead to a well-groomed piece of land each time you pull it out while the rugged wheels and great driving power make it one of the best self propelled lawn mower for hills.
- Potent 187cc GCV engine
- MicroCut twin blades
- Two-position handle
- 4-in-1 Versamow system
- Variable speed
- Excellent power and performance for the price
- Highly versatile and delivers great results
- Variable speed between 0 to 4 mph
- Comes with a powerful 187cc engine
- Large clipping bag included
- Can get quite loud
- Missing an electric start
Snapper CRP218520 / 7800968 NINJA 190cc Rear Wheel Drive Variable Speed Commerial Series Lawn Mower with 21-Inch Deck, Ninja Mulching Blade and 7 Position Height-of-Cut
The Snapper NINJA 190cc Series Lawn Mower covers hilly yards with great ease. The mower comes with a rear-wheel-drive system that has a lovely turn differential along with 8-inch front wheels and 10-inch rear wheels. Maneuvering the device is so easy that you won’t have to worry about that steep incline again.
- Briggs & Stratton engine
- Ninja blade
- Foam-grip handlebar
- Rear-wheel drive
- 14-gauge steel mowing deck
- It comes with a powerful 190 cc engine
- The height can be adjusted with great ease
- It is relatively quiet for a gas-powered lawn mower
- Regular maintenance is required for the best performance
- The lawn mower is missing a bagging option
This lawn mower by Honda is one of the best options for people looking to invest in affordable equipment for hilly yards, especially because of the variable-speed rear-wheel drive and great quality for the price. In combination with the Smart Drive technology, the twin MicroCut blades make it very easy for you to get a well-maintained yard each time.
- Twin MicroCut blades
- Automatic height adjustement
- 12-gauge steel deck
- Excellent mulcher
- 4.5 HP Honda engine
- The mulching capabilities of this product are beyond impressive
- The rear-wheel drive makes it ideal for hilly areas
- This is a very powerful lawn mower that gets the job done
- It can be fairly noisy
- There are chances of a rough starting despite the auto-choke
With powerful motors, rugged construction, smart design and tailor-made features that make them excel at mowing this type of tricky terrain, all of these machines can be considered the very best self propelled lawn mowers for hills.
We hope you’ve found your new lawn mower and as always – have a fantastic day!