As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. All claims are strictly my personal opinion.
A good lawn mower is the key to achieving a beautiful, pristine looking yard and even if it’s a small, you’ve got to have a machine that fits as well as it performs. The best lawn mowers for small yards are those that are not only powerful and well-built but also versatile and nimble, ensuring that they can be used anywhere with ease.
We’ve put together a list of the models that are, in our opinion, the very best lawn mowers for small yards – all of which have unique features that make them the perfect choice for this type of terrain, as well as being available at beautifully attractive prices. Some of them are so great in general that they even made it as our top picks for the best lawn mowers of all time. Now without further ado, let’s take a look!
Best Lawn Mowers for Small Yard Comparison
These are, in our opinion, the best lawn mowers for small yards, thoroughly compared for you.
|Lawn Mower||Troy-Bilt 382cc 30-Inch Premium Neighborhood Riding Lawn Mower||EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower||Honda HRS216VKA 21'' Gas Self Propelled Lawn Mower||Snapper XD 82V MAX Self-Propelled Electric Mower||Greenworks 21-Inch 40V Brushless Self-Propelled Mower 6AH||Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Lawn Mower, 4.0 AH||BLACK+DECKER 3-in-1 Lawn Mower, String Trimmer and Edger|
|Capabilities||Bag, Mulch, Side Discharge||Bag, Mulch, Side Discharge||Mulch, Side Discharge||Bag, Mulch, Side Discharge||Bag, Mulch, Side Discharge||Bag, Mulch||Mow, Trim, Edge|
|Warranty||2 Years||5 Years||5 Years||5 Years||4 Years||4 Years||2 Years|
Best Lawn Mowers for Small Yard Reviews
Here you can read in-depth reviews of the models that we consider to be the best lawn mowers for small yards, ensuring you know what each one has to offer and which one’s perfect for you.
The highly popular Troy-Bilt Neighborhood mower is a space-efficient and beautifully well designed riding mower that can be easily stored pretty much anywhere while still giving you the great benefits of this type of machine – speed, efficiency, comfort and ease of use, making it, in our opinion, one of the very best lawn mowers for a small yard. It looks very much like a combination between a lawn mower and a scooter and takes just under an hour to assemble. The assembly instructions that came with it were pretty easy to follow too.
- Very easy for the user to maneuver around a small area
- Compact enough to be stored in a garage or a shed
- Lets the user easily check the fuel level
- 2 years of limited warranty offered
- Equipped with a 6-speed transmission
- Very easy setup; takes less than 1 hour
- Very competitively priced
- Comfortable seating
- Controls could be hard to learn for some
- Doesn’t work so great on a slope
The EGO Power+ lawn mower delivers awesome power, performance and run-time which is especially impressive for a battery-powered machine – directly making it, in our opinion, one of the best electric lawn mowers for small yards. Turning into a true powerhouse when turned on, it silently but effectively mows your lawn while you enjoy its nimble handling, extended runtime and beautiful looking results. It has a weather-resistant construction and packs enough power to rival gas-powered mower, plus it is available in many variants that include the bare tool, mower with 4.0Ah battery kit (like this one) and 5.0 and 7.5Ah versions. The 56-volt battery is powerful enough to last about 45 minutes and makes nearly 30% less noise than a conventional mower as well. Smooth, silent and expertly crafted, the EGO Power+ deserves it’s booming popularity and it’s worthy of being called, in our opinion, the best lawn mower for small yards.
- 56V battery that rivals a gas powered mower
- Comes with a rapid charger and 4.0Ah battery
- A cutting deck of 20 inches
- 3-in-1 side discharge, mulch and bag
- Rugged construction quality and design
- Equipped with LED headlights for operating in low-light conditions
- Fantastic power, performance and results, especially for a battery powered machine
- Impressively sturdy body and great set of wheels
- Can be folded quickly for convenient storage
- Silent performance is a huge bonus for the user and everyone around
- Easy, push-button start
- Can mow up to 2 miles on a single charge
- Lasts more than enough to take a small yard in a single turn and recharges quickly in just 30 minutes
- The company offers a 3-year warranty on the battery and 5-year tool warranty
- Customer service isn’t very responsive
The Honda HRS216VKA is a great lawn mower for small yards – it’s nimble, incredibly powerful, comfortable to use and delivers top-notch mulching capabilities that dismiss the need for a bag and ensure a healthy lawn as well. It comes with a speed control mechanism that allows you to easily control the speed at which the mowers will perform and it also features a self-propulsion handle, which means it makes the job easy — all you have to do is walk behind it while holding it. It also has double (twin) blades, which makes for ultra fine cuts for mulching. A top-notch machine, it is, in our opinion, one of the best gas lawn mowers for small yards.
- Adjustable control position for comfort
- Handles fold quickly, making it easy for storage and transport
- Twin blades ensure excellent mulching results
- Adaptable, reliable and simple design
- No need to adjust the choke once you start mowing
- Very easy to assemble
- Sturdy, durable engine made by Honda
- Fantastic mulching performance and side-discharge
- Some customers found this product to be fairly expensive
Snapper XD 82V MAX Electric Cordless 21-Inch Self-Propelled Lawnmower Kit with Batteries & Rapid Charger, 1687914, SXD21SPWM82K
Snapper’s highly popular XD 82V MAX is widely considered to be one of the best cordless lawn mowers for small yards and in my view, it’s great for larger ones as well due to how beautifully it performs. Even though it’s impressively potent and has advanced features, it’s still lightweight and easy to use which makes it easy to achieve great results. It’s as powerful as its 160cc gas-powered cousins due to its fantastic 82V motor and 2 li-ion batteries that can run for up to 45 minutes on a single charge. A serious contender for the title of best electric lawn mower for small yards, the Snapper XD 82V Max is an excellent choice all around.
- Has smart and efficient load-sensing technology which means the power adjusts according to the demand
- 2 li-ion batteries are included with the product
- Comes with a 7-height adjustment
- Uses no gas; enjoy not breathing in exhaust fumes
- Great power and performance
- Very low maintenance
- Cost effective when compared with other products in the same category
- Easy steering with an ergonomic handle
- Push button for a quick start
- Doesn’t cut wet grass that effectively
- Some customers have complained of missing parts
The Greenworks brushless posh mower is, in our opinion, one of the best lawn mowers for small yards because of the ease it undertakes the cleaning operation. This is a vertical storage mower that claims to reduce the storage size by up to 70%. What I really like about this product is that it features a dual battery port design (1 battery can last up to 45 minutes). This is in our view one of the best inexpensive lawn mowers for a small yard.
- Small deck size for efficient maneuverability
- Comes with a 7-height adjustment
- Stores 1 battery while the other runs your motor
- Completely electric
- Has a quick push-start button
- Uses a universal 40 v battery system
- Provides longer tool life and more torque
- Gas-like performance on battery power
- Some have complained about not-so-great customer support
- Customers have said that the product squeaks while operating
This 16-inch 40V variant from Greenworks is a delight to work with. It’s extremely affordable while still deliver solid performance and useful features, making it close to being – in our view – the best inexpensive lawn mower for small yards. The mower features two safety features; one for the battery and one for the start system, making it one of the safest options out there as well. Capable of bagging and mulching and with a 4 year warranty on top, it’s a great little machine available at an especially low price.
- 5-position height adjustment
- 2-in-1 feature for mulching and bagging
- Features both front and rear wheels
- 4-year limited warranty
- Light-weight build, comfortable handle
- Great for cutting in all environments
- Can run for up to 1 hour on a single charge
- Silent, compared with gas mowers
- Some customers say it requires near-constant charging
- Other customers say it quit working after a few uses
The MTC220 is a great product if you own a small yard (around 750 square feet). This product is a 3-in-1 wonder versatile tool that can mow, trim and edge your lawn with ease and even though it’s not super potent or made for heavy-duty use, it’s still very useful and incredibly compact. If you have limited storage, this is a great option for you and comes in both cordless and corded versions (this version is cordless). A great little tool with lots of bang for the buck.
- Comes with an automatic feed spool
- Includes 2 batteries for a longer run time
- Power driver transmission, no more bogging down
- Adjustable height and pivoting handle
- Consistent power in most grass types
- Retains its charge 5x longer than similar batteries
- Easy to use and maneuver
- The advantage of 3 tools in 1
- Some customers had trouble putting the lawn mower together
- Other customers don’t like the build quality and find it cheap
If you want to learn more about this topic, be sure to read our follow-up article below:
Packing real power under the hood and performing incredibly well while still being robust and mightily agile, these machines are, in our opinion, easily the best lawn mowers for small yards on the market.
We hope this guide has helped you find your new machine and as always, have a fantastic day!