As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. All claims are strictly my personal opinion.
Want a riding lawn mower that delivers quality performance and durability at an entry level price? Then you’ve come to the right place! Today we’ll be taking a look at the machines that are, in our opinion, the best riding lawn mowers under 2000 and all of them positively impress.
Even though we’ve already listed our personal picks for the best riding lawn mowers in general, in this article we’re going to focus solely on those that manage to offer a truly great experience without passing the 2000 mark. With modern features, rugged construction and great motors under the hood, they manage to strike a great balance between quality and price, making them rise above the competition and turning them into excellent affordable choices. Let’s take a look!
Best Riding Lawn Mowers under 2000 Reviewed
Here you can read in-depth reviews of the models that we personally consider to be the best riding lawn mowers under 2000, letting you know what each one has to offer and which one’s the perfect one for you.
It’s difficult to find a great riding lawn mower under 2000 – most of the times the model is either subpar in terms of quality or it’s higher than the budget – but this Husqvarna model manages to hit the sweet spot.
With a huge 42″ cutting deck and a versatile set of wheels, both of which are powered by a reliable 18.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Hydrostatic engine, it can take care of all regular tasks with ease. The construction quality is also great, especially for the price, and even comfort-wise it impresses.
If I only had 1 machine to recommend at this price point, it’d have to be this one – the great Husqvarna YTH18542.
- 42-inch mowing deck
- 18.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine
- Hydrostatic transmission
- Great construction quality
- Fantastic cutting quality for the price
- Great craftsmanship on both the fit and the finish
- Turning radius and responsive wheel make for a great navigation experience
- Sometimes on hills, a little extra punch from the engine would be great
The models found here deserve an honorable mention because even though they’re not likely to be found under 2000, they’re still either right on the budget level or slightly over in a way that’s still attractive, making them excellent options to consider (especially with the added features in comparison to the other units).
This lawn mower by Husqvarna features a powerful 22 HP Briggs and Stratton Intek V-Twin engine for a powerful and smooth performance. Using this equipment was a breeze, and I was able to cut my lawn in no time at all! The engine’s design makes it possible for it to go on for longer and what I really appreciate is that it is much quieter when compared with other products in the category. Even though it might be a big out of budget, it’s still a fantastic machine to consider when looking for the best riding lawn mowers under 2000.
- Change speed and direction easily with the help of foot pedal-operated hydrostatic transmission
- Features cruise control which lets you drive with a consistent speed even in rough terrain
- Navigates around obstacles easily and can mow in reverse, thanks to a tight 16-inch turning radius
- Dual anti-scalp wheels and 46-inch reinforced cutting deck
- The product can be used in the dark because it comes with powerful headlights
- Can be used as an all-season machine
- Compact size makes it easy to maneuver and store
- Clean, consistent cuts ensured every time
- Some buyers may be unhappy with the customer service
If you have a big yard to take care of, the Husqvarna YTH20K42 is the machine for the job, thanks to its many features. First, even though it has a 42-inch 2-blade mower deck, it is still easy to store and second, it gets most jobs done quickly in one go. The V-Twin OHV engine (overhead valve) packs in 20 BHP power, enough to drive it at a speed of 5.3 mph and a reverse speed of 2.9 mph.
- Hydrostatic operation that is pedal operated
- Air induction technology that enhances air flow
- Cutting deck that is reinforced with heavy flat-stock steel
- Adjustable sliding seat for optimized operator position
- Easy to manipulate deck adjustment control
- Transparent fuel indicator for easy checks
- Equipped with headlights
- Front axle is made of cast iron
- Customers have said it doesn’t work so well on lawns with slopes
- Others have said the machine can be a bit unstable
The Craftsman T225 is one of the most powerful lawn mowers in its class with its 19 HP Briggs & Stratton gas engine. I have found that it makes the machine powerful enough to get the job done without getting stuck even once. Also, you won’t have to struggle with it on those chilly winter mornings, with its ReadyStart technology.
- 46-inch cutting deck capable of clipping, cutting and trimming grass
- Deck wash included for easy cleaning
- Very powerful engine for big yard jobs
- 15-inch front wheels for better maneuvering
- High-back cushioned seat for comfortable seating
- Cast iron axle that resists bumps and corrosion
- Excellent build quality
- Maintenance-free transmission
- Some customers have found it uncomfortable to use
- Others have complained of missing parts
This lawn mower features an automatic transmission operated through a foot pedal and is designed to be used on large tracts of land, which in my opinion also makes it very efficient. It packs in 540 cc of power and the mid-back seat ensures that an operator can mow their lawn in great comfort for longer periods. The dashboard controls are also easy to operate and placed intuitively, which coupled with the great design and overall solid package automatically places it in the list of what I personally consider to be the best riding lawn mowers under 2000 (or close to it).
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Powered by a 540 cc/19 HP Briggs & Stratton Intek engine
- Has mow-in-reverse capability
- Mid-back seat and soft-touch steering
- Ideal for mowing large areas
- Efficiently takes care of the toughest lawn jobs
- Integrated deck wash for easy clean-up later
- Lots of features in a reasonable price
- Offers only single-speed mowing in reverse
- Suspension could have been better
As the name suggests, the “Classic” is a rear engine (11.5 BHP) rider and resembles the model originally introduced in 1962. I recognized it immediately as the model featured in cult classic “Forrest Gump”. It has been reintroduced with advanced features which we will get to know below.
- Straight-forward design with easy-to-reach controls
- 5-speed shift
- Has vertical stand-on-edge capability
- Reverse activation, tighter turn radius
- Innovative design, easy storage
- Equipped with a side cup holder
- Better designed steering column
- Great for lawns of any size
- Some users may not find it powerful enough
- Some users may find the deck size too small
As you can see, you can still get a great machine even if you’re on a budget. We hope you’ve liked our in-depth guide on the machines that are, in our opinion, the best riding lawn mowers under 2000 and that it has helped you find your brand new unit!
If you’ve got any questions or simply want to share your thoughts, don’t hesitate to leave a comment below – we love to hear from you!